Thursday, November 17, 2005

Classic Savagery

The end of the world is surely nigh.
Great literary classics are being reduced to text messages to help students revise.

Take Pride and Prejudice:

5Sistrs WntngHsbnds. NwMeninTwn-Bingly&Darcy. Fit&Loadd.BigSis Jane Fals 4B,2ndSisLiz H8s D Coz Hes Proud. Slimy Soljr Wikam Sys DHs Shady Past.Trns Out Hes Actuly ARlyNysGuy &RlyFancysLiz. She Decyds She Lyks Him.Evry1 Gts Maryd.

More info on the BBC website.

I'm not sure whether to be appalled or amused. Your thoughts?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its a monstrous disgrace and the end of civilization as we know it.

Jane A.

Grace said...

I was planning on watching the 5 hour BBC series this Saturday (really, seriously!) because I hadn't seen it before. Now I don't need to! What am I going to do with that extra 5 hours......

M said...

Come on, you can put up with Colin Firth, even if you know how it ends. Or, maybe watch Persuasion, only that would be about an hour and a half. Alternatively, start at page one of P&P, the original unabridged book!

Wynn Bexton said...

I get irritated by this stupid text-message language. How lazy! What a waste of our beautiful words. Appalled is right! There's a few people on a certain on-line journal who will occasionally try to write that style (I've noticed they are not North American or British). I hope they're not teaching this in ESL classes! Horrors.