Sunday, September 03, 2006

Lost thirty dollars ?.... look no further.

About a month ago, as I was approaching the blogstation on my way home from work, I saw some paper on the ground. On closer inspection, I saw it was three ten dollar bills. There were lots of people around me, all scurrying for the train. I picked up the money and glanced around. Noone was looking around to see if they had lost anything. There were the usual newspapers vendors (well not vendors as they are giving the papers away) and ironically, a couple of panhandlers standing nearby. I put the money in my purse and carried on.

I felt uncomfortable. The money burnt a hole in my pocket. It wasn't something I had earned. I didn't actually need it. I was in a bit of a hurry so went straight home. I examined the bills. One was almost ripped in half, but still usable, and another had what looked like a dried ketchup stain on it. Next day I approached a blog train attendant and explained what happened. He said "Don't give me the money. If you do, I'll be the one who gets to keep it if noone claims it." Well that was honest of him. He gave directions to the Lost Property Office. After work that day I went along to the office and gave in the money and precise details of where I found it. The woman behind the counter wasn't quite sure how to fill in the form, which didn't inspire me with confidence, but it only took a few minutes and I walked out of there.

I seriously doubt whether I'll see the money again, but that's ok, it was the right thing for me to do. I just hope a transit employee doesn't take the money. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised, or maybe I just will never know. Good luck to whoever has that thirty dollars.

2 comments:

Wynn Bexton said...

Hey! I think it was me. Did it have a picture of the queen on it?

M said...

You know, it just might have! What a coincidence!