Saturday, January 22, 2011

Rice attraction

There was some rather ancient cooked rice in the rice cooker, so I put it out there. A little white mountain on the bird table. When I say bird table, its actually a big honking garden table covered by a green tarpaulin, so it is a large expanse for the feathered creatures to come in to feed and drink and generally make quite a mess. There is now an ongoing drama on this table outside our kitchen window.

Clubfoot crow and his mate Billy barged on to the feeder today. Clubfoot has a lame left foot. He can out his weight down on his foot but the claws just hang there, lifeless and are no use to him. I wonder how that accident happened - a car maybe? I imagine a crow hobblig along is very vunerable. Anyway he gets through and is able to perch and fly with little problem. The crows are very smart, though show little finesse, just ambling straight to the prize - the rice - and take their fill - and then they are off, probably to the next bird table. Makes me wonder what it is like looking down above all the houses from a bird's eye view. Until recently, I never put out any bird seed, now I guess our house is on the list of venures to check out for free food.

The usual routine is happening. Pushy sparrow has scooted the reticent juncos away and is bobbing up and down, eating the seed. A black capped chickadee comes and goes, seemingly unsure as to whether it is safe to eat here or not. I think how lucky I am to experience a slice of their lives - I am enjoying this moment.

No comments: