Friday, April 29, 2005

Dropping in from Fukuoka

It's your overseas correspondent here visiting southern Japan, the city of Fukuoka. Arrived in one piece a couple of days ago, we had a minor earthquake on the first night. I am on the loose whilst the rest of my party are getting some organized exercise. I am getting disorganized exercise in the form of getting lost very quickly. I have recently found my bearings again and here I am.

Fukuoka is a city heaving with people, very vibrant and a mixture of ancient and modern. We have visited some shrines from the 4th century on the outside of the city. The lilac blossom scent nearby filled the air. It is pretty hot here, well pushing 30 degrees I would say.

Of note - flag persons directing traffic, bow to the cars when they are being requested to drive forward. Very civilized I thought. At crosswalks, the tune Comin' through the Rye floats through the air.

We`re staying in a family apartment in the southern part of the city. For breakfast we have been eating rice, pickle, cherry tomatoes, sour plums and miso soup. Our beds are foutons on tatami mats. So far I`ve collapsed at the end of the day, exhausted from the days walking.

That's all for now - we get 10 minutes on these machines then some threatening messages announce the end of the allotted time. Sayonara.

1 comment:

Wynn Bexton said...

Oh great! I'm so glad you're able to report from your travels!