Friday, September 30, 2005

Autumn leaves... well actually it's just arrived


Autumn is here, there is a nip in the air, but there are compensations. I love the colours of fall.







What I don't understand is why all these conkers are lying on the ground. Its sacrilege. When we were kids, we'd practically fight to get one of these in our hot little hands. We'd tread warily into gardens and throw sticks up into trees, getting caught many a time by irate homeowners. Once we'd gathered a few conkers, we'd pick a decent one and ferment the beastie in vinegar for a while, put a skewer through it without destroying it entirely and lastly rig a foot of string through the middle. We'd then have a sure fire winner when it came to the illegal school conker competitions. What gives these days? I never see anything like that. I need answers please....

1 comment:

Wynn Bexton said...

You're right! Yesterday, walking in the west end there were loads of shiny chestnuts on the ground and I thought the very same thing! I picked one up, and held it for a long time, rubbing my fingers over it's smooth surface. Took it up to the hospital for my friend "Here's a bit of Autumn" I said. I explained about the conker game. Having come from Chile he'd never heard of it before. It's a shame kids don't play that any more. It was one thing I always remember about the Autumn!