Saturday, August 19, 2006

I met Simon Says

I was leaving work yesterday afternoon and stepped into the elevator and hit the "Main" button. A couple of floors later, a short gentleman, 55-ish, in a brown suit got on. He was holding some books. I'll call him Simon. I've never seen him before. We both looked at the monitor in the top corner, which indicated that the weekend weather was going to be good.

Me: Well its going to be a fine weekend.
Simon: (sighing) Yes.
Me: I'm glad its Friday.
Simon: (unintelligible response).
Me: You look like you've had a rough week.
Simon: Yes, but next week's going to be worse.
Me: I'm sorry to hear that. I hope things get better.
Simon: (sighing deeply) It won't get better until November.

Before I had a chance to ask more, another gentleman got on the elevator and Simon just sighed to himself and did not volunteer any more information.

With very little to go on, I was trying to work out what would be so bad in August but wouldn't get better until November. I'm pretty sure he was talking about a work situation. Maybe he works for a skiing company and is waiting for the snows of winter. Or maybe he is just professionally miserable. It will remain a mystery, until perhaps I meet him in the elevator and obtain the next clue.

No comments: