Sunday, March 13, 2005

Cell phones, high heels, soccer fields, don't mix

One of my exercise routines is playing soccer, and each team member takes their turn to line the field prior to the game. Today the field liners were Gretta and me. After several unsuccessful attempts to mark the field with chalk, we located a liner that actually worked and after covering ourselves with the white stuff, we looked a total mess but the lining was well in hand.

All at once, a taxi turned up at the field. This was unusual as the field is in a fairly mountainous and remote part of town. Out stepped a blonde woman in her twenties, black stretch pants and wait for it, gold coloured high heeled shoes. She immediately approached me. She seemed agitated.

"Have you seen my cell phone?" She asked me. "I lost it around here last night."

I said I hadn't seen it. Of course I was wondering what on earth she was doing at the soccer field in the middle of nowhere late at night. She appeared rather listless, I think she was hung over. I said if we found it we would call one of the numbers on the phone so she could come and retrieve it.

She walked back to the taxi and consulted with the driver for a few minutes. No, we didn't see the cell phone. By then several more players had arrived, all looking curiously at the woman who looked like she belonged in a night club not a soccer field. Probably embarrassed by the attention and frustrated at not finding her phone, the woman told the taxi driver to drive on, and away they went.

I'm not the greatest cell phone fan. In fact I can't stand them most of the time. After BlondeBombshell left, I did feel some sympathy for her, and I wondered if she'd got the taxi driver to try phoning the cell phone number, in case it was still switched on. Probably not. Anyway out there in the bushes there is probably still a phone waiting for its owner to reclaim it. The mind boggles. It did not seem like the place for a romantic rendezvous in the middle of the night. Maybe she left her boyfriend in a tiff and marched into the field. Further suggestions on a postcard please....

No comments: