Sunday, March 06, 2005

Life on the BlogTrain : Sit Down! Stand Up!

I've mentioned the BlogTrain quite a bit here. One of the issues the regular commuter faces quite frequently is the quandry of when to get up and when to sit down when a new passenger gets on and appears to need a seat. Sometimes on a crowded train I stand anyway as I'm reasonably fit, its not a long commute and the view from the train is just spectacular and you get a better view of it all when you're standing.

There are times I feel very uncomfortable staying seated, particularly when an elderly person gets on the train. I feel embarrassed that noone else is getting up. I think everyone thinks someone else will get up and it's not their problem. People stare at the floor. It's the out of sight, out of mind syndrome. My foot. 'Course they can see there's an issue, that's why they are examining their shoelaces. And you know what, I've looked a little too closely at my shoes on more than one occasion. I've wanted someone else to take care of the problem.

Usually I offer to get up. Most times the offer is graciously accepted. Sometimes the offer is politely refused. Other times the offer is rejected with the other person displaying a sense of outrage, as if the offer is a complete insult.

I remember long ago I'd just received some absolutely terrible news and the next day I boarded a bus for a five hour journey. There were no spare seats and I had to stand. I hadn't eaten for a long while and the bus swayed from side to side as it wound its way over a mountain pass. The journey seemed endless and I thought I was going to faint. Suddenly, a man sitting adjacent to me got up and offered me his seat. I sat down with much relief. I was so grateful to him, I felt like he had saved my life.

Back to the BlogTrain. So most times, I get up when someone needs a seat. When I get the occasional brush off or worse, I remember that, many years ago, someone recognized my distress and got up for me.

What are your thoughts on this?

1 comment:

Wynn Bexton said...

Well I appreciate getting a seat if I am really tired and as I ride the bus a lot, often for long rides, this is appreciated. Sometimes I don't feel I need to sit but I am grateful that a person offers me a seat anyway. What bugs me is when the bus is crowded, I have to travel a long way, and there are kids and young folk sitting but ignore you or ignore other more elderly folk getting on.