Thursday, January 27, 2005

Grammar, God and Ivan

Some random thoughts today.

I've just finished reading Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Lynn Truss. She's trying to stop correct grammar usage from going the way of the late lamented dodo. She's humorous. She'd like us to go out on the street with a bucket of paint and a brush and overwrite sloppy grammar on billboards and street signs. I think she has a point. I go nuts when I see the plural of dog written as dog's.

Consider the difference between the following two sentences.
Eats, shoots and leaves.
Eats shoots and leaves.
The first sentence could be talking about a potentially homicidal panda. The second sentence may be talking about a panda, but it definitely doesn't seem murderous. And all because of a comma. I recommend the book as thought provoking, funny and informative.

I'm also reading The History Of God. Well I was until I forgot that it was overdue at the local library and Gregoire took it back for me yesterday. I hope God will forgive me.

The third piece I am reading is a CBC Idea's 1991 transcript on AIDS which challenges the notion that AIDS is caused by HIV. Its here if you are interested - http://www.cbc.ca/ideas/features/Aids/whatcaus.html

For a while now I have been following the life of Ivan Noble, BBC's Science correspondent. A couple of years ago he developed a very serious brain tumour and since then he's written a diary about it. He's very matter of fact. He's got married, had a second child, and also undergone several operations. Its heartbreaking and inspirational. He has legions of supporters from far and wide, and some of them post good wishes and suggestions at the end of each piece. You sense the end is near. Each time I read his diary, I'm wondering if he'll write again. And now the moment has come. He wrote his final entry some time ago knowing there would be a time when he could not write any more. The diary and the latest entry is here - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4211475.stm

I'm thinking of Ivan and his family this evening.

What are you thoughts today?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi M, this certainly is a'thoughtful' entry. Enjoyed reading it. Yes, I've read Eats Shoots and Leaves too and quite enjoyed it. What am I thinking? Well --- trying NOT to think of a certain Chilean and managing well because of my night school classes which are full up of eager potential novelists, travel journalists and creative writers. And the Memoirs group is excellent too. So yes, I am having mostly happy thoughts. wynn

PS my more mundane thoughts are still on diaryland.