Saturday, January 08, 2005

Real life, Some Ducks and No Litter

I don't suppose I can apply for a one week recall. No, I didn't think so. You know, the last seven days are gone and I'll never get them back. It's been a tough week. Colleagues of mine, with whom I've worked for fifteen years, got let go. We knew it was coming, but it's hard. Happy New Year, oh and by the way, here's the door. Those of us who are left are going through a grieving cycle. We're early in the process. We're past the initial shock, some are starting to get angry. Some are contacting lawyers.

So I haven't thought about litter this week. When the basics are on the line, your thoughts are about keeping the roof over your head and putting food on the table.

Today we went to feed the ducks again. We've had a major snowfall and to be honest there's no litter in sight. Its all under the snow. We're into day three and everything looks so pretty and clean. I've done some slight damage to my back after shovelling each day. Probably didn't keep my back straight.

Anyway back to the ducks. Our local lake looked amazing today, almost 90% frozen, with hundreds and hundreds of birds, huddled on the ice. I'm afraid the seagulls got most of the duck food, they are just too greedy and quick. Some of them hovered above us, like those verticle take off jets. Which was obviously a deliberate ploy, because we were easily impressed so we started throwing morsels to them and they darted and caught them in mid air. We love walking to the lake. It's wonderful to have that so close to us. I find I can relax and just think about simple things in life, like companionship, duckfood, and schemes to remove the bloody litter....

I took this picture of one solitary bird in a tree...

 Posted by Hello

We're going to brave the snowy elements and go to a mad party tonight, with music and singing, so it'll take my mind off work. We're going to go and have a good time.

No comments: