Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Nails, Bones and a Tent

So here's a dangerous situation. Gregoire has gone out for the evening and I'm left free to roam the house. In front of me sits an open packet of the richest chocolate truffles you can imagine. I'm doomed.

A catch up on the litter route. I found 50-plus nails by the side of the road, some on the verge, but some right in the middle of the street. The mind boggleth. So DumpleBrain decides he / she / it doesn't want the nails. Fair enough. But then what happens to logic when they are dropped so they can cause multiple punctures and worse. God is keeping score, DumpleBrain, you mark my words.

On the walk I also found a couple of coins and the corner of a 20 dollar bill. The latter is completely useless of course as it constitutes less than a tenth of a bill. This gets me wondering what portion of a note you need to have in your hot little mits before it is considered legal tender. I'm not going to present my little triangle of paper over the bank counter as I'm sure they would laugh hysterically at me.

HedgeRow House has been pretty normal looking of late, but today it was back in the groove. This is the home where kitchen appliances, granny's nickers, you name it, are strung on top of the low hedge in front of the property. Today there was a small red teepee taking pride of place. On closer inspection it was a piece of dark red patterned material on top of three pieces of wood. I'm thinking Gregoire is spot on when he says this is modern art, even if its unintended. That's all well and good but I wish that there was a small card of explanation like they have in all the best galleries. I'm thinking of dropping that suggestion through the letterbox just for the heck of it. Maybe that's not such a good idea. I might end up sprawled upon the hedge too.

I'm reading Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold and I must admit I was completely unprepared for the first chapter where a 14 year old is recounting her own rape and murder. Its horrifying and engaging. I am captivated. A part of me feels a bit manipulated. You know something awful, perhaps gratuitous is going to happen, and you wonder if the writer is going to go there, and sure enough, she does. It reminded me of the scene in the barn where the brother has an encounter with a cow (yes, it's what you're thinking) in A Cure For Death by Lightning. I look forward to reading more of Lovely Bones, though I'm feeling some trepidation over what will be revealed next.

That's it for today. Comments and suggestions are, as always, exceedingly welcome.

Disclaimer: only three truffles were consumed during the creation of this post.

2 comments:

Wynn Bexton said...

Ah, so great to see you back. I always enjoy your scavanging trips. And I'm glad you restrained yourself and only ate three truffles. All the more for next round! Say hi to Gregoire!

Grace said...

Hi there,
I read Lovely Bones over Christmas - I know, not great holiday fare - and I found parts of it to be absolutely heart-wrenching. Hang in there, it's an interesting read.
I envy your control over the truffles, I would've gone for it and consumed them all, I'm sure.
A