Thursday, February 10, 2005

Tents and a lot of Hot Air

I'm seeing red everywhere. Red hats, red socks, red tents. I came home earlier than usual this afternoon. As I was descending the stairs from the BlogTrain platform to the street, I saw a maroon umbrella propped up like a little tent next to the station. This is weird because this is right round the corner from HedgeRow House with its similar red contraption, that I described the other day. I was thinking this all has something to do with Chinese New Year. Or perhaps I'm drinking too much caffeine.

I've examined the red tepee at HedgeRow House from close quarters. There is a very discreet label that proclaims "FREE", which dashes my hopes that it is art moderne. The label is so small that I question the homeowner's marketing abilities, however I would agree that you don't see a tent on the top of a hedge every day of the week. There is not a manic market for give away children's tents as that darn thing has been out there for three days now and there is nary a taker in sight. I was on the other side of the road today so I didn't look too closely but there was a small white garment next to it on the hedge. I will investigate tomorrow. Probably granny's nickers again.

We have a discussion of the Kyoto accord going on in the family. I've run with it and have been talking to colleagues and friends to get other perspectives. Steady on, you weren't meant to fall asleep. What's difficult to determine is just what is fact and what is a point of view. I'm beginning to think that there is no right and wrong; there is just opinion.

The basis of the Kyoto Accord is that carbon dioxide emissions are causing global warming, that the human race is responsible for much of these emissions and the resultant climate change could occur very quickly and irreversibly. If you believe that, then it makes sense to act immediately to put in place effective legislation for all governments to enforce strict limits on CO2 emissions and seriously cut back on the burning of coal and oil. The latter makes sense anyway. What natural energy resources are going to be left for future generations if we keep up current consumption levels? None. This mirrors the gradual decimation and elimination of natural resources by humans over the ages on Easter Island except that it is now played out on a worldwide scale. More about Easter Island as a metaphor is here
http://www.primitivism.com/easter-island.htm

Even amongst the scientific community there is vast disagreement as to whether global warming is actually a problem, and if so, whether any measures would be effective anyway. I'm not in scaremongering or panic mode. Maybe I should be. The world is not going to end tomorrow. I am in favour of Kyoto because, while seriously flawed, it is at least a start. It took years to get to this point and there is no alternative global accord on the table. Get Kyoto in place and then go work on a more effective and enforceable solution. Divert funds to research efficient alternative energy sources. Get the US on board. But do something.

Well as I slowly descend from my soapbox, I wish you a pleasant night, and invite comment.

Where is my bag of truffles? The hunt is on....

1 comment:

Wynn Bexton said...

BRAVO!
You would have done well at my Memoir group today. Their assignment was "What Gets Your Goat" and it was a chance to rant. They were all interesting and well done, yours would have been a hit too.